What is The Baptism of the Holy Spirit?
The Baptism of the Holy Spirit is simply the power of God Himself resting upon a born-again man or woman of God.
There is a difference between being born of the Holy Spirit and the baptism of the Holy Spirit. When you were born again, the Holy Spirit recreated your spirit with His nature (II Cor. 5:17). In addition, He settled on the inside of you to be your comforter and teacher (John 14:26).
When you receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, the power of God comes upon you as revealed in Acts 1:8, Acts 2:4 and Acts 19:6. Jesus said in John 7:37-39 that if we were thirsty, we could come to Him and drink. When we do, He declared that out of our spirit would flow rivers of living water. This living water is the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.
These are some of the benefits to being baptized in the Holy Spirit.
- It is a Sign to the Unbeliever.
Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: (I Corinthians 14:22)
- Personal Edification.
He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; (I Corinthians 14:4)
- You Speak Mysteries.
For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. (I Corinthians 14:2)
- Build Yourself up Spiritually.
But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, (Jude 1:20)
- Pray the Perfect Will of God.
Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God. (Romans 8:26-27)
- Power to Witness.
But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth. (Acts 1:8)
- Offering of Praise and Thankfulness.
I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also. Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks , seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest? For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified. (I Corinthians 14:15-17)
The Baptism of the Holy Spirit is a Gift to the Believer
An essential part to receiving the baptism of the Holy Spirit is understanding that it is a gift provided for you by God Himself. It is not from the devil. It is not something that you make up. It is real and it is for you.
If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him? (Luke 11:9-13)
How to Receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit
Receiving is easy. You receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit the same way you received salvation. you simply believe in your heart and confess with your mouth (Romans 10:9-10)! Anytime you get ready to receive, the Holy Spirit is ready to baptize you. He was sent on the day of Pentecost and He hasn't left. There is no need to wait or beg, just receive by praying this prayer:
Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank You for providing the gift of the Holy Spirit for me. You said in Your Word, that You freely give Your Spirit to those who ask, therefore, I ask You now, in Jesus' Name, to baptize me with Your Holy Spirit. Holy Spirit, I believe that I receive You and Your empowerment now. Rise up with me as I give praise unto God speaking in other tongues.
Begin to praise God for filling you with the Holy Spirit. Speak those words and syllables you receive - not in your own language, but the language given to you by the Holy Spirit. You have to use your own voice. God will not force you to speak.
Now that you are a Spirit-filled believer, practice these three keys daily to see the manifestation of the benefits of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit in your life:
- Pray in the spirit often.
Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints; (Ephesians 6:18)
- State that you believe you receive what you have prayed.
Therefore I say unto you, what things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them. (Mark 11:24)
- Ask for the interpretation.
Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret. (I Corinthians 14:13)
Other Scriptures Regarding the Baptism of the Holy Spirit
If you need additional help receiving or have more questions, ask a prayer room counselor at THE CHURCH Group. Any of them will be able to guide you further into understanding this wonderful gift.
- And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues' (Mark 16:17)
- Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water. (John 4:10)
- In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, if any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. (John 7:37-38)
- And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me. For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence. (Acts 1:4-5)
- And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. (Acts 2:1-4)
- And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy: (Acts 2:17-18)
- Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost: (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.) Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost. (Acts 8:14-17)
- He said unto them, have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, we have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. (Acts 19:2, 6)